Thursday, July 22, 2010

An Interview With Tiffany Wang From Sodalight Creations


Today I'd like to introduce you to a talented Etsian who has a wonderful grasp of movement and color and translates it into beautiful works of art.  May I introduce Tiffany from Sodalight Creations...  Read on, be charmed. 


Tell me about you:

Hello, my name is Tiffany and I live down under in the land of Australia. I have traveled and lived in a few cities because of my work as an animator, but I am originally from Brisbane.

What do you make?

I love to create things from reclaimed materials. It is fun to dream up possibilities for a pre-loved shirt or create an item from a bit of felt leftover from another project.


Is there a particular theme in your work?

Bright colours, nature and dance.


Where do you find inspiration?

In the world of digital media, I find my greatest inspiration from etsy, craft blogs and pictures. The colour, style and work of all the fantastic people out there can really get the creative juices going (even when it’s unrelated to what I am creating).

I also find inspiration from:

Movies and animation

Music (soundtracks and songs that paint an imagery)

Dance and performance, I use to do chinese dance and I will always turn to it for inspiration.

Documentaries: Nature, history and animals. I especially love watching the way an animal investigate the world around it.


What do you love about what you do?

SodalightCreations is my chance to get away from the computer screen (after staring at it all day doing animation). I love to snuggle down in my chair after work and turn bits of brightly coloured fabric into cute, colourful and/or mood evocative pieces. I love animation, but it’s nice to balance it out with crafts.


Tell me about a favorite piece that you’ve made

My favourite piece is my Fabric Painting called ‘Ballet’, sculpted from fabric dipped in glue, and painted with fiery colours. Fabric sculpting was taught to me by my artistic mother (who was my first art teacher), and I incorporated my love of colour and movement to make my own version of 3D pictures.

What I love about these pieces is they are 3 dimensional, like a picture this can be seen from all angles. It’s is sculpted from one piece of fabric and it’s amazing what fabric can do when you tuck, pinch and press it. I just love how the tutu of the ballerina turned out. ‘Ballet’ is my favourite because of this tutu, I wish I could wear it.



What do you do when you’re not creating?

Between creating animated children’s television and creating for SodalightCreations, I only have time left for… sleep, hehe.

When I want a change, I love cooking and baking. I also love going on drives to wine regions with my boyfriend, catching up with friends and family, making my own animation, and… enjoying a cup of tea and watching the world go by.


Can you share with me something interesting? A favorite quote, a good recipe, a funny story?

I wish to share one of my inspirations, a song from the Miyazaki film ‘Laputa: Castle in the sky’.

Here is the song on youtube. Click, close your eyes, and let your mind wander:

English translation:

The reason why the horizon shines so
Is because hiding somewhere beyond it is you
The reason why all those many lights seem so nostalgic
Is because within one amongst them is you
Come on! Let's set off, with a slice of bread
A knife and a lamp all stuffed into a bag
The burning emotions father left to me
The sharp gaze mother gave to me
The earth revolves, hiding you
Shining eyes, glimmering lights
The earth revolves, carrying you
Carrying the both of us, who will one day surely meet
The burning emotions father left to me
The sharp gaze mother gave to me
The earth revolves, hiding you
Shining eyes, glimmering lights
The earth revolves, carrying you
Carrying the both of us, who will one day surely meet


Isn’t it beautiful? Laputa: Castle in the Sky is highly recommended if you love a story about nature, industry and adventure. Hayao Miyazaki is the director of the academy award winning Spirited Away, and Castle in the Sky is one of his earlier films. The music for his films were written by Joe Hisaishi, I could listen to his music all day and never get sick of it.


How can people find you?
My etsy shop - Sodalight Creations 
My second etsy shop - Crafting Movement
My blog: http://sodalightcreations.blogspot.com/


Is there anything else you would like people to know about you that I haven’t asked?

If anyone is interested, here is my animation website: http://www.tiffanywang.com/

As a fun bit of promotion, I am offering a giveaway. Pop over to my blog to enter!

4 comments:

'Tsuki said...

Lovely creations, interesting interview, thanks for the sharing...

Stacey said...

Tiffany's creations are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing her work with such a lovely interview.

Tiffany said...

Thank you so much for sharing my story :)

Tumus said...

Miyazaki is one of my ALL time favorite animators. I love all of his stories. My favorites are My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away (also a favorite soundtrack), and Howl's Moving Castle.
He does such a great job of telling a moving story that always involves nature. It's nice to see such beautiful work on film over and over again.

Lovely work Tiffany and a pleasure to find another Miyazaki fan ^_^

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails