The other day I shared a few in-process pics of a new mushroom terrarium I've been working on. I can finally call it completed and wanted to share its story.
Mothers aren't supposed to pick favorites, but...(and don't tell the other mushrooms I've made) this one could possibly be my new favorite.
Every bit of fiber and thread in this piece has been dyed using plants, roots, and nuts that I gathered from the woods. By hand. Me and my dye pot. There are black walnuts, goldenrod, tansy, lobster mushrooms, wormwood, and more. Tans, pale greens, yellows, pinks... That patch of moss is a grey-green given to me by an unusual mushroom called Peridoxylon petersii, and I've yet to find another.
There are blades of grass, and tiny flowers, and a caterpillar.
Even some sporophytes are hiding in there.
I made the wood base from a piece of Osage Orange, a wood hard enough to make my saw spit blue smoke when I cut it, that came from my hometown in Illinois. I left a bit of the bark on the piece as well as checks (small cracks) and imperfections because they made the piece feel even more natural to me.
From the bottom of the base to the top of the glass, the piece measures about 8 1/2" tall.
I'm sort of taken with it.
I've also managed to finish up a couple of teeny scenes too.
These little cuties are also hand-dyed, but not exclusively with natural dyes. They are heavy metal-free, though, and crafted with love.
The wood bases on these are made from Alder, a wood that has a beautiful smooth grain. I've left some character in the wood on these too.
I'll be having a little shop update on Tuesday the 16th at noon, central time, if you'd like to stop by and give one of these guys a good home.