Tuesday, March 12, 2013

bunk bed tent

  
I thought it would be fun, on this home project-filled spring break to make my younger boys a tent for their bunk bed.

 The concept is really simple, which is good because my machine-sewing skills are equally so.  I used some canvas drop cloths that I had on hand.  I washed them first, then sized them to the bed, cut some door flaps, and sewed a panel for the side of the bed that is exposed (the other is against the wall, so I didn't do a panel there).  The tent is tied to the metal bed frame in several places, which will make it easier to remove for cleaning.  The door flaps hang down when the boys are sleeping and button up on the inside when they want to let the light in.  I zig zag stitched around the cut edges of the fabric to help keep it from fraying.

My oldest boy attached the tent to the ceiling and back wall for me, with help from his brother.  As you can see, it isn't exactly even, or lined up in the corner of the tent very well, but when they were done the two younger boys exclaimed "it looks great!" so I decided not to worry about it.  If they're happy, then so am I.

I also made them each some hanging pockets for their books and a couple of corkboards to put inside their respective tents, and outfitted them each with a reading light.  They were happily reading away before bed time last night.

And this morning... they were sleeping in late.  Which makes momma happy.



5 comments:

Ariadne said...

So sweet!AriadnefromGreece!

LisaW said...

everything looks great when their Mom makes it! Perfect fun!

Tricia said...

Wow - bet those two sweet hearts know they have the coolest Mom in the world!!! I would LOVE to sleep in the tent....

prpltrtl946 said...

You ARE the coolest Mom on the planet!! 8*)

And, the darkness inspired quiet morning is a reward for extraordinary Super Mom behavior!!

POCKETS?!!

CORKBOARDS?!!

READING LIGHTS?!!

I need one too!!

Fantastic, Lisa!! 8*)

julochka said...

it's rather like covering a bird cage to convince the bird it's night. clever. very clever.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails