The little polypore I found the other day - the mustard yellow polypore - gave me some color in the dye pot.
After noticing the interior had an ochre color, I tore some up into pieces and put them in a mason jar filled with water and a splash of ammonia. After letting it sit for a day I put the mix in my dye pot and let it simmer for about an hour, adding a little more water in the process, then turned off the heat and let it set overnight.
The next day I strained out the mushrooms and put them back in the dye jar, where they are still making color, and added my fiber to the dye liquid. I heated the dye pot up to just under a simmer and let it heat for about an hour, then turned it off and let it, too, sit overnight.
I let the fiber dry in the sun before rinsing it. I feel that the color gets a chance to "stain" into the fiber more, and I also get a sense as to how lightfast the color will be.
From left to right above - unmordanted wool, wool mordanted with alum, and undyed wool for comparison. Beneath the wool is unmordanted silk and cotton, and unmordanted cotton floss next to undyed cotton floss for comparison.
The mordanted wool took up a really lovely golden color while the unmordanted wool is a very pale wheat color. The silk and cotton floss also picked up a lovely golden color while the cotton cloth picked up only a small amount of color.
All in all, a lovely experiment, and one I'm glad I did. When I went to check on these mushrooms yesterday they were all dried up and almost unrecognizable. I may try dyeing with the dried ones too, just to see.