Thursday, October 23, 2008

Small things

There are "small things" we can each do in our lives to live a thriftier, more earth-healthy life. In looking at my own habits, I've identified some things that while not earth-shattering, have simply become a way of doing things for me. I thought perhaps I'd share some of these things weekly and hope in turn you'll share some with me.

Today's small thing is... making your own stuffing. I work a lot with felted wool sweater material and after I've cut my designs, I'm always left over with small bits and odd shapes of wool. Some of these are large enough to save but there are invariably bits that are just not big enough to reuse. I cut these bits into even smaller bits and use them to stuff all of my stuffed projects. The wool makes a fine stuffing for projects large and small - even though large projects get a little heavy (great if you want to win a pillow fight the dirty way).

By using what we have, we eliminate the need to buy new and also help cut down, literally, on some of that inevitable "crafter's clutter".


You all have crafters clutter too, right? :D




8 comments:

June Shin said...

What a great idea!

Cari said...

Crafter clutter...I'm gonna steal that phrase :)

Annie said...

Yep! I need a better way to organize the scraps and bits I save. Just last night I was digging through a pile of fabric scraps since I was working on a small project and there was no need to cut into a new yard of fabric. I like to save and reuse things, but I don't like the piles of stuff around...now off to find something I have that can be remade into a container for my scraps!

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

It's been a while since I last worked with felt (eek shame on me - and note to self to start again !) but when I did, I used to keep the bigger scraps for other projects, and smaller scraps to stuff new things. I have a photo on Flickr about that, somewhere.
And yep, crafter's clutter ... aaah I know that too well !! LOL
Thanks so much for your convo, I'll be replying ASAP, my friend. They're all so precious to me.
Big hugs OXOXO take good care !

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Thanks for stopping by, everyone! :D

annie - I think that's key, having the bits and pieces in a logical, accessible place. I always forget about the stuff that isn't right out where I can get at it.

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

I save stuff from every part of life in case I need it later, but never do. Or, when I do I forget I have it... Not very organized.

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Oh Brittany, you and me both. I'm trying hard to change my ways, but it's still a struggle.

Bethany said...

I just found your blog via flickr! I love your felt work, especially the acorns, which I have always wanted to make! I love this idea of using up felt in stuffing. I have a little pile of yarn scraps and was just going to throw them away. Not anymore! You have such an eye for color and composition!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails