Saturday, September 17, 2011

dyeing (and playing) with acorns


After making my acorn flour from yesterday's post I was left with a bowlful of acorn shells.  I've seen them discolor water before so I thought I'd see if I could leach enough color out of them to dye wool, rather than just toss them back into the woods.

I put them all in the dyepot with some water and let them steep for a full day.  There was definitely color in the water but I decided to warm them up on a low burner for about an hour to coax more of it out.  Eventually the dye water turned to the color of coffee and I figured it was good to go.  I drained out the acorn shells and plunked my alum-mordanted wool in the warm dye and let it sit for several more hours.  The result was a pale tan, not unlike the color of the nut meat.


I wanted to make a little wool acorn out of this color so I wet-felted a bead and glued it into a cap and you know, it looked just like a little head with a fringe of hair sticking out from under its cap.  I figured I was due for some play time so I went in search of a body and wings and came up with this odd fella.



I'm not sure if he's a bug or a fairy or what.  I'll let my kids decide.  I've left him by the big oak, the one with the fairy pond in the middle, for them to discover.


Since I still had several gazillion acorns in the yard I also decided to play with one of the whole acorns and came up with this bitty ornament, complete with tiny wool mushroom.


It's good to play now and again, isn't it?
I hope you get some play time too.
Have a great weekend.

17 comments:

Marilyn said...

I love it when you play...I would so love to see the children's faces when they spy your little man/bug...and that pendant... :):) :)

Annie said...

We all need to play!

I think he's a little wood elf ... but I'd love to hear what your kids make of him :D

Caitlin said...

Oh, is he adorable or what... the acorn ornament is very sweet as well :)

susana said...

hello, i enjoy reading several tutorial you post, they are really environmental friendly.
recently, i am also working on dyeing, using hot tea to dye the alpaca fabric for my little bear, i also wish to give them a try when our weather getting cooler in late Oct.
thanks for your sharing all along :)

Unknown said...

haha you never cease to delight me.. your little forest fairy man' will bring you lots go great fungi' this season!
The ornament is pure magic!

meganarline said...

Love your little pine cone man. I would be delighted to find one in my woods.

Nilla K said...

That ornament... I just don't understand how you can make something that detailed and so small! I'm amazed!

Anonymous said...

The mushroom ornament is awesome!

k said...

as usual, i am totally in awe of your creativity - both your little woodland sprite and that ornament are amazing! in fact, if you make more of those ornaments, please let me know - i would dearly love one. happy weekend to you!

Margie Oomen said...

can i come over and play with you?

prpltrtl946 said...

I love the way your mind works! The things you make are so unique and special!!

I never see things like that...but that's why you have such a following!!

Thank you! 8*)

Anonymous said...

I just love all of your creations. I really need to find more time to "play".

joanie said...

I was going to ask the same question as Margie. Please let me come play too!!!
Fantastic - both the sprite and the acorn & mushroom. Very fun!

Sullivan J Photography said...

Soooo cute! I absolutely love the acorn fella!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely!

MISZEK POLSKA said...

love the mushroom in an acorn :--)

Aic-krim said...

Ооооо!!! Гриб в желуде - это просто чудо какое-то!!! Очень понравилось!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails