Tuesday, October 20, 2015

so much good stuff

Here's something different. Last week my youngest boy and I took a cigar box guitar workshop being offered by my work (The Crossing Arts Alliance)
Neither of us play the guitar, but we couldn't pass up the opportunity to learn the art of low-brow luthiership from maker and talented tattoo artist Tony Powers and co-teacher Brent Shepard.

These two have made CBG's from everything from cigar boxes to oars and cookie tins. In the hands of Tony and Brent these things sound great.


We were given the basic pieces of the guitar to assemble, decorate, and string.

My boy with his new geetar.

Everyone added their own flavor to their instruments.



Mary from LPTV was there to film and you can see the clip here

You're surprised to see mushrooms on mine, right?


This class was so much fun. The teachers made it very accessible and were able to handle any missteps we students made, and it was so cool to have one of them playing throughout the class, giving us hope that we might make something that sounded half as good. And, it's always fun to learn something new, right?

On Saturday I spent the day at a TEDx talk and have come away feeling really inspired and uplifted. I was also introduced to the music of Corey Medina, who moved from New Mexico to Minnesota (on purpose), and I am utterly entranced.

So much good stuff.

What's been inspiring you lately?

1 comment:

lynn bowes said...

This is just the coolest group project! I love everyone's different decorating style and am reminded that it was your painting talent that caught my eye years ago, long before I knew you were a textile felted-person. Your painting style is clean and crisp with buttery softness. I know that sounds weird but you have a great inner eye.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails