Friday, September 17, 2010

Mushrooms Mushrooms Mushrooms


As the weather has been turning, so have the mushrooms under the poplar and pine.  We've had a new crop of lovely yellow amanitas pop up, some boletes, and a few others that I hadn't seen in previous weeks and I'm excited to see what pops up next.  I've also been noticing the decay of some of the older mushrooms and have found them equally inspiring and sometimes downright beautiful.  I hope you do too.

Love how thin the profile is.

the color on this one!  Love!

the sun was glinting off the droplets like a prism on these



an Old Man of the Woods looking super scruffy
the boys and I debated this...I said brain on a stick, they said butt.
a tiny parasol
decay
love the patterns in this decaying russula

and look at those gills!
a spiky puffball at the end of its days
just gorgeous, even as they fade
losing color but still lovely
this is how they appeared a few weeks ago
he looks a little mopey
bolete

Happy Friday!

15 comments:

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

oooooh so so many wonderful mushrooms !! Oranges & browns seem to be the colors of the season in the woods :)
and yes, even the decaying ones have something to say.
Thank you so much for sharing your walks in the woods.
Oh, btw, I say butt too. LOL
xoxox

joanie said...

I love them all, my favourites are always the parasols though because they get the imagination going.
I saw a brain right away too, my children would definitely say butt.

Kar said...

Those mushrooms are so pretty. Thanks for taking us along on the nature hike. I would have to agree with the boys on their choice of descriptions of the one mushroom. Too funny!

lynn bowes said...

You absolutely get the coolest fungii up there in the woods. Must be too dry here or something - perhaps I just don't know where to look. Beautiful little things they are.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend with Alejandro and return home tired but happy.

xo :: lynnie

NewDominionBlues said...

I never had a thing for mushrooms, in fact slightly disliked them. I won't eat them, either. But then I ran into you... and they are so cool.

eidolons said...

Your mushroom posts always make my day. Thanks. (:

Nane said...

Hello !
Thank you for such beautiful pictures. Here in Germany all mushrooms still started growing, and by ? (in?) the next walking I will take the camera with me ! Good idea to show the small beautifulness in them...and find new friends for them.

Wish you a nice weekend,
Nane

Unknown said...

How lucky you are to live in such a beautiful place! Something about the way you write and photos you choose tells me that you would find such magic anywhere, though. By the way, I was wearing one of your felt & birch bark brooches last week on an outing with my little German-speaking cousin who asked about it, and then said "Das ist wunderschön!"

FranticMommy said...

I have to say, thanks to all your mushrooms posts on your blog, I am having so much fun looking for them now! I am more aware of them and even took my kids in our woods to find some. I think we may go muchroom hunting at the Arb this weekend. YUP, "butt on a stick". That's what I woulda said too ;)

Margie Oomen said...

i am so in love with those polypores right now

Unknown said...

Nice you totally inspire me with all your shroominess. Maybe I'll whip out the ole cam this weekend and take a picture of something new, like a mushroom.

Margie Oomen said...

yay you founds boletes

t does wool said...

great series there..lots of 'shrooms!

heidi said...

i love mushroom and toadstools!

Pamela Zimmerman said...

wow, you really found some lovely ones!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails