Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Never What You Think


I went out to the barn yesterday to snap a few photos of the projects my hubby has been working on; he's been back at the woodpile and is working on some bowls, serving platters, and other fabulous things, and I wanted to share a sneak peek.


  While I was out there, my usual entourage was close behind. 


As I snapped the first photo I heard a great commotion coming from somewhere within the barn.  "Bawk bawk BAWK BAWWWWWK!!!"  I looked around and spotted one of the white hens up on my husband's work bench having a serious conniption.  She squawked for a minute or so then hopped down, still clucking.  This flock hasn't started laying yet, but I wondered if maybe.... so I walked over and sure enough, her very first egg had been deposited right there amongst the saw blades and sockets.


I had to laugh.  Nest boxes be damned, this girl wants the work bench.

It was her first egg and though I'm proud of her I don't think hubby is too impressed with her choice of locale.  Hopefully we'll coax her back into the nest boxes, but who knows.   If there's one thing I know for certain, it's that things don't always work out as planned.

7 comments:

Scrapiana said...

Oh, how delightfully free range! :D

lynn bowes said...

First off, I had no idea there was a woodworker in the house! I cannot WAIT to see the gorgeous bowls that come out of that shop.

Second, I guess when the urge hits you to lay an egg, there's no stopping the egg-layer. Been there.

xo :: lynn

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

eheh
for the first born, you never know how things work, right ? ;)
xoxo

KarenB said...

Ha, Ha! A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Regina Moore said...

Love it! A girl with a mind of her own!!

joanie said...

Perfect, a hen who knows her own mind!

I really love the look of that bowl, is it possible they might hit your shop, or another? Although if they did something tells me shipping would be a killer ;)

NanaBeast said...

Oh, Lisa! This just cracked me up! Even before getting to the egg laying part I was enchanted at the thought of you walking with an entourage of chickens. How sweet. I bet the egg layer had no idea what was happening to her, poor thing. What a shock for her. Thanks for the best of my day, so far.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails