Sunday, December 19, 2010

Stockings Hung By The Chimney With Care

One of the projects I wanted to work on this year was a set of stockings for the family.  We've been using a hodge-podge of stockings that we've picked up over the years.  Yesterday I sat down with Maya's stocking instructions, some burlap sacks from the feed store, the bag of lace bits I found at the antique store, and some vintage buttons, and got to work.

Each family member designed their own, picking their lace and buttons. 


I was chuckling at R's choice of all military buttons with one "lady shoe" thrown in. 


S has great taste in buttons, the bear button is a collectible. 


A went with a butterfly theme, and E inherited my poinsettia brooch.



I had a few satin coat linings on hand from the coats I've deconstructed to make into felt, so I used those to line the stockings.  I don't machine-sew often and the satin was a bit fiddley for me, but all in all I think they turned out OK.


Today we'll decorate our tree and make some cookies.  I still have a number of projects I want to complete on my list but I've vowed not to stress myself out if they don't get done.  What good is "time off" if you're all stressed out, right?  I hope you're all having a relaxing season too.

Happy Sunday!



17 comments:

Tara said...

Those stockings are beautiful. I especially like the lace butterfly and the poinsettia brooch. A very impressive day's work. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

omg you have not only managed to make them all, but they're all SO gorgeous & special & precious, I'm deeply admirative, my friend <3
I totally agree about the no stress, I've decided this year won't be the one of elaborate Christmas presents. They'll be most of them handmade with love, but not too elaborate.
No stress to you, my friend.
I've spotted a cuppa that warmed my heart to no end. <3 You have the most beautiful fireplace
xoxoxo

Unknown said...

You did a superb job on the stockings.. They are so beautiful and makes the room homey and filled with love. You done good!

Patricia said...

They are gorgeous! Beautifully done!

Glo said...

The photo with the six stockings hanging form the fireplace would make a terrific christmas card. Nice job!

KarenB said...

Your fireplace is beautiful and the stockings are PERFECT for it. It's so fun that everyone got to design their own. I'm wondering which is yours? My guess is second from the left.

Enjoy your day!
Karen

karen said...

You are truly a gem. So elegant and Glo is right - the picture would make a great Christmas card with a glowing fire! I even like the "plain-Joe" stocking for your hubby. You should make these for your shop for next year.

Tumus said...

Very nice and yes silk is very fiddly. I hate sewing with it almost as much as any kind of furry fabric.
As for my "wishing really hard" thing. It's not going so well. I'm pretty darn sick and it's hindering things terribly.

Catherine Ivins said...

So beautiful Lisa- I wish I could come stay at your house!!

Maud Bailey said...

wow, so beautiful!

k said...

They are all so nice - individual but nicely themed together in soft natural colours. and your fireplace too is lovely - it all looks great for the holidays!

Vintage Tracy said...

Wow - they all match! Adorable, and they look super on your fireplace. That fireplace just makes me feel like I'm in the northwoods, or maybe it's the north pole....santa?

... said...

these are really cute

mayaluna said...

Oh Lisa! Oh Lisa! I LOVE each one and your fireplace was really begging for burlap stockings... no denying that. These are my dream. Truly. That's why I started making them, because I envisioned a little something like the photos above. However, my family will be keeping our eclectic bunch of stockings for the time being. My daughter has the one my mother made for me as a girl... can't go updating that, now can I? So once more: I LOVE THEM ALL!

Marsaille said...

I am in love with these stockings. Ours are all getting worn out, or were store-bought and then embellished. I love the simple beauty of these. Nothing garish or goofy. Those are stockings that the kids will remember and want to take with them when they fly the nest.

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Oh, thank you everybody! I've had more fun with that bag of lace lately. I really loved it against the rough burlap. It was a fun project and Maya's instructions made it really easy.

KarenB - you got it, mine is the second from the left. :)

NanaBeast said...

Lisa,

You've made me a convert. When you mentioned burlap for stockings I wasn't really interested. I like softness. But THESE! They are gorgeous. Elegant without being obviously so. I love them all. The way you've embellished them, even when the design has been dictated by others, is superb. Of course the lace and buttons totally MAKE these. Kudos to Maya for the idea and directions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails