Tuesday, December 20, 2011

getting closer - bed linens completed


My goal for yesterday was to make the linens for my daughter's doll bed and I'm pleased to report that I made my goal and then some!

I started pulling out fabrics to create the blanket and was preparing for a semi-complicated process.  I had chosen some pieces, none that I was too gaga over but would do, when I pulled out a matching set of these sort of strange embroidered pillowcases I got a year or two ago at a garage sale.  DING!  A light went off in my head!  I checked the size and yup, nearly perfect for the little bed with very little tweaking needed.  I love that!


All I had to do was lay a piece of batting inside the pillowcase, fold over the decorative top, and stitch it down.  Voila!  Doll blanket!

Using half of the second pillowcase and a piece of leftover carpet pad, I made a mattress to fit the bed.  That still left me enough material to make a little pillow, and I still have one whole panel of the embroidery to play with.  (and what is up with the orange poodle and roses anyway?)


I saved so much time with this project I was able to finish a little friend to tuck in under the blanket.


My daughter loves owls so it seemed like a good choice.  He's made of all recycled materials - wool from coats and sweaters, a scrap of upholstery fabric, and some corduroy pants.  I stuffed him with wool and lavender so he smells nice too.


The paint on the bed is still drying so I'll post a pic of it with the linens tomorrow.

Today I'll be working on this...


My helper is enjoying this task because she gets to build castles while mom carves.

After this I have just one more project to finish and then presents to wrap and cookies to bake.  After that?  I'm taking a break.  (and it is much needed)

'til tomorrow!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

you'll have won your Super Mama badge for sure !
my goodness, woman, you are on a roll !!!!!
These gifts will be treasured forever, no doubt about it.
oxoxo

This is My Life said...

What an adorable owl. I am amazed at all you accomplish. I would like a spoonfull of your motivation please.

Kitty Wilkin said...

Wow! Super Mom indeed! I absolutely love the owl--pretty much everything about it! Recycled scraps, lavender... mmmm! Adorable!

ps. If you decide to dole out spoonfuls of motivation, please include one for me!

kristin said...

you are one busy elf! family heirlooms for sure.

cathy@home said...

Lovely bed linen and owl.
cant wait to see the bed.

Tricia said...

I was just thinking how much I LOVED the embroidered pillowcases and then said - but what's up with the poodle? Funny but I still love it.

lynn bowes said...

My dear, you have built an heirloom.

My dad made a doll bunkbed for me a gazillion years ago and when cleaning out my mother's attic when she passed, there was that doll bed in the rafters and attic fluff. I refinished it and gave it to my niece for Christmas that year and now it's a constant reminder of our parents'/grandparents' love.

You must sign it and date it somewhere. It matters. Good job.

xo :: lynn

Margie Oomen said...

that is it
i am putting my ad up
nature obsessed fully grown child
looking for owl making mom for
long distance adoption

Anonymous said...

Those old embroidered linens are a hoot (unintended pun, but it rolls right into...) and that owl! Too adorable. Great work, Lisa. = )

joanie said...

It's all so fantastic! Wish we could all see little E open these gifts, she will love every last detail. Amazing!

prpltrtl946 said...

You are an inspiration!! That owl is so sweet and tucked into that sweet little bed! Your little angel is going to be one happy woodland princess!! 8*)

Lorraine Young Pottery said...

:-} the owl is so cute and the stitching !

Sending Wishes for a Happy Holiday to you.

Lorraine

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails