Saturday, June 09, 2012

Herban Crafts, I think I love you



I "met" Karen Lee (aka ecokaren) when I was selling on Etsy.  She was a leader on the EcoEtsy team I belonged to and I knew her to be passionate about green living, and knew her to approach the subject with high energy (no doubt fueled in part by all that fair trade cofee she drinks).  We've become friends over the years and when she told me she was starting a new project I knew it was something good.  I just knew it.

And you know what?  It is. 

She and Mary Kearns (who you may know from Herban Lifestyle) have developed Herban Crafts; darling little kits teaching you how and containing everything one needs to make their own lip balms, fizzing bath salts, cologne, and more using fair trade and organic ingredients.  That's the short story..  Not only are the ingredients high quality and ethical, but the packaging is as well.  All of it is recycled, recyclable, or compostable (and lovely!).


But wait, there's more!

A few years ago I used to volunteer at a women's and childrens' shelter and found the experience really humbling and moving, so this part of the story really tugs at my heart-strings.  Herban Crafts will be working with unemployed women in transitional housing to build the kits.  The women will get job-training that will help them build their resumes and a sense of empowerment, and help get them on their way to economic independence. 

When Karen asked if I would like to try a lip balm kit I was all for it.  It was just as I expected, adorable eco-friendly packaging, high quality ingredients, and super-simple directions that made my finished project perfect.  I dare say I like this balm better than the stuff I normally buy from that guy with the bees.  The kicker?  My teenaged boy declared the end result "cool" and swiped a tub of it for himself.


Now, I don't norrmally do "reviews".  Heck, I don't even have advertising on my blog, but if Herban Crafts were ever looking for a spokeswoman, I would jump at the chance. This is the kind of project that I love to support.  (seriously girls, call me

This amazing project needs help to get off the ground.  Here's how you can help:

  • Visit their campaign HERE on Start Some Good to read more about their program and donate.  A donation as little as $5 can help. 
  • Go to the Herban Crafts website HERE and buy a kit. 
  • Go "like" them on facebook HERE and "share" with your friends.  Help get their mission in front of more eyes. 
  • Follow Herban Crafts on Twitter HERE to keep up with their latest happenings.
  • Tell your friends!

Thanks everybody!  Have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the shout out.

So glad your son thought it was cool to swipe one. That's a huge compliment!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this lovely, heartfelt post, Lisa. And your photos are gorgeous, as always. We really appreciate your helping to spread the word about our kits and our social mission!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails