Thursday, March 04, 2010

An Interview With Marchi Wierson of MarchiMadeIt


I am constantly impressed with Marchi Wierson's ability turn a handful of wool into unique and unexpected pieces of wearable art.  I think I first noticed her work on flickr and was amazed by her big, bold necklaces.  I had just begun working with wool and seeing her designs opened my eyes to the potential of fiber.  When I got to know Marchi a bit more and understand her choice of medium, I was even more impressed.


Tell me about you:

Hi. I'm marchi wierson. I live in Portland, Oregon where it seems everyone is an artist, crafts person, or a DIY fan. There is an inventive spirit here in Portland that I like.

What do you make?

I make jewelry with a focus on wool and textiles. I am motivated by the idea that how jewelry is made contributes to its beauty. So for example, some jewelry looks beautiful, but may have had a heavy environmental or unfortunate social impact on its way to being a finished ornamental object; I think that this factors into its desirability in the end. I want to make things with a light footprint. I want my jewelry to be beautiful in its creation and in the finished product. My favorite material is wool. It can be sculpted into many forms. I am still discovering the range of potential in wool. I also like to work with old buttons and vintage or found objects.



Is there a particular theme in your work?

I think my work is natural modern, with fresh ideas and a bit of surprise. People often ask me about my jewelry when I wear it. They think it's made from stone, or bone, or they just don't know. I had a blue felted necklace that a friend thought was lapis lazuli. It's fun. People I don't know stop me to ask me about some piece I am wearing even as I am walking down the street.



Where do you find inspiration?

I see inspiration everywhere. I find my challenge is to stay focused on my work and where it is going, to do the next thing in a string of things that need to be done rather than be lead by inspiration. Most things I do are a slow process, and the next step reveals itself because of the steps before it. I try to stay in my own voice. Maybe I follow my muse more than inspiration.


What do you love about what you do?

I love that I want to do it every day, I get out of bed and I want to make things. I love the result, I get to wear it or share it. I love that it can make people feel happy.



Tell me about a favorite piece that you've made:

I think I can favor ideas more than pieces. But hmmm, I really can't choose.


What do you do when you're not creating?

I enjoy being outside in fresh air, walking. I like to play with my camera. I like a good dinner party, with a few friends, delicious food, and conversation. Oh and I could spend hours at Powell's bookstore looking at books.

A favorite quote, a good recipe, a funny story?

I have a fun recommendation. I recently bought a cheese kit as a gift for a friend from Urbancheesecraft.  It was brilliant. My friend made delicious cheese and I helped eat it. He thought it was fun and talked about it with his friends. If you like cheese, and like DIY, try making cheese. By the way, I have no relationship with Urbancheesecraft, I am just a big fan. And you can buy the elements to make cheese without buying from them, but they make it so easy to get started.

How can people find you?

I can be found at my blog - http://marchiwierson.blogspot.com/
and my Etsy shop: http://marchimadeit.etsy.com/

I welcome questions and comments from visitors, so come by and say hi!


Is there anything else you would like people to know about you that I haven't asked?

I just want to say thank you Lisa for including me on your blog. I am a big fan of your work and of your blog. You have a kindness that comes through your writing and crafts which makes people feel good. So, thank you Lisa.
 

My pleasure, Marchi.

12 comments:

lynn bowes said...

What a great post, Lisa! Now she's one of my favorites, too. Incredible work - thanks for the introduction!

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

This was a great interview! It's awesome to get a bit of inside info on her working process. You guys should do a show together. Seriously.

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Thanks, Lynn! I'm glad you liked it. She does amazing work, doesn't she?

Britt - we've talked about a collaboration using her wool pieces and my natural dyeing techniques.

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

That would be great!

Marchi Wierson said...

I feel really happy right now. thank you so much Lisa!!!

PineBlossoms said...

Great interview, I love the fun shapes & great photos...And I love the link for the cheese kit! Unexpected...but I have always wanted to try that!

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

Oh Lisa, thank you so much for such an awesome interview ! Marchi sounds like a fun person, and looks like a very talented & creative artist ! I need to get closer to her blog & shop, this weekend hopefully when life will be a little more quiet.
Thinking about you a lot. Hope you're doing OK.
oxoxoxo many hugs

Margie Oomen said...

her artful necklaces make me really happy tonight
love the woven work around the felt
you rock lisa

Laura said...

such a talented and thoughtful artist. her spirit really shines through in her work. thanks for the interview!

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Thank you so much everyone for stopping by. I knew you'd enjoy getting to know Marchi as much as I have.

ZenCrafter said...

Lisa, thank you for shining the spotlight on a wonderful artist and generous soul (I admired a scrap of fabric from her Flickr photostream and she immediately sent me a piece!). Marchi's work is brilliant; you can tell she has such a playful spirit, and such an appreciation for her material. I can't wait to see a collaboration between the two of you. Maybe we can all meet in Portland some day?

Pesky Cat Designs said...

Wonderful feature! I love Marchi's work. The last piece is my favorite.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails