Monday, December 12, 2011

delicious little houses


Yesterday was, in a word, delicious.
The weather was beautiful for a woods-walk and the kids and I had a lot of fun gathering materials for an upcoming project.  When we returned to the house I roasted some chestnuts, made hot chocolate, and started whipping up some royal frosting for gingerbread houses.  (It was already getting dark, so please excuse the quality of these photos.)


Instead of gingerbread, we made mini versions using graham crackers.  I built the houses for my 3 youngest and myself and set out a buffet of candies for decorating them.



I let the kids decorate them however they wanted and we ended up with houses like this:


and this.  (I love the gingerbread marshmallow man just squashed into the side)


My teenager got into the action and not only made his own house, but a house with a chicken coop, a flag, a sidewalk, and even a gingerbread man on a ladder with a hammer in his hand!  Holy buckets!


I was so impressed, though we did tease him about his entrepreneurial chickens who seemed to have opened a co-op.


Best part, naturally, is that they got to eat their masterpieces afterwards.

Delicious.

Hope you have a fun start to the week!


9 comments:

Scrapiana said...

Looks like a lot of fun for little hands!

Tumus said...

I just want the frosting. That looks SO good right now. How did you get them all to bed after eating their houses?

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Rebekah - ah ha, behold the power of a very long walk in the woods... sent them off to sleep even when still buzzing on sugar.

Centi said...

Lovely houses but I like the gingerbread man best! He's so cute.

Allisunny S. said...

Can I come live with you ;)?
There is such a wealth of crafting and lovely trips to the woods for your family - makes me want to be a kid again :)

xoxox,
Allison

Margie Oomen said...

they are so creative

Anonymous said...

yummy !
and two thumbs up for mama too
(I know how much work -besides fun- it must have been !)
xoxo
aunt Z

joanie said...

Yay - I love these. Graham cracker gingerbread houses are the only type we've ever managed to make, sadly we can't get them in the UK.
I love the coop in particular, I had the same thought about the entrepreneurial chickens, so cute.
Save some chestnuts for me please!
Jx

k said...

ah, they are all so awesome in their own way. yay sugar!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails