Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Empty Bowls in Brainerd MN Oct 18, 2014

One of the things I've been working on at my day job at The Crossing Arts Alliance has been putting together our very first Empty Bowls project.  For someone who is slightly obsessed with handmade pottery, I have pretty much been like a kid in a candy store this week while the bowls are rolling in.

For those that aren't familiar, Empty Bowls is a national project that works to raise awareness of food insecurity and provides a grass-roots way to earn money for those groups who are combatting said food insecurity.

So here's how it works.  Our potters, including some from two area high schools, have donated their time to make 500 bowls.  We've solicited donations of soup and bread from area restaurants and food vendors.  For a $20 donation at the door, attendees are treated to a simple meal of soup and bread and get to take home a handmade bowl of their choosing, as a reminder of all the empty bowls in the world.

Coolest part...because of our generous supporters, we are able to donate ALL of the proceeds to our local soup kitchen, Sharing Bread.  If we sell all 500 bowls, we will raise $10,000!  That translates to 5,000 meals for hungry community members.  Our soup kitchen serves roughly 65-85 people daily so that will make a big difference. (have I mentioned that I love my job?)

bowls by Haddie Hadachek of Black Bear Pottery

detail of bowl by Midori Marcum

bowls by Midori Marcum

bowls by Cyrus Swann

bowls by Tim Nelson

platter by Haddie Hadachek

As a thank you to our generous potters we're also having a clay exhibit, The Language of Clay, featuring their work.  The show opens this Friday. I can hardly wait. Though I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a day (or two) of rest after all of this is over.

If you find yourself in the area, Empty Bowls is this Saturday from 11am to 2pm in the lower gym at the Franklin Arts Center, 1001 Kingwood St, Brainerd, MN 56401.
First come, first served.
$20 per person

Oh, and did I mention the soups?  Chicken Artichoke Brie, Garlic Basil Tomato, Chicken Dumpling... yes indeed, this will be a good day.

Hope to see my local friends there!


9 comments:

Ariadne said...

What a great idea, what a great event!AriadnefromGreece!

Inspired By June said...

What a wonderful event, Lisa! Chicken Artichoke Brie - what a tease you are! I'm thinking packed in dry ice it might make it to me safely, lol! Wish I were local! Blessings.

darcox said...

I would LOVE to buy one of Midori Marcum's red bowls any way to do so???

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Thanks ladies, I wish you could all be here!

darcox - unfortunately no. She doesn't have her work online though I told her that people were going to WANT her to sell online. If she gets a shop up and running I'll be sure to share it. She's super nice and incredibly talented. ~Lisa

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

I wish I wasn't that far, I'd be coming in the wink of an eye & would buy a couple of bowls ! oxox

Michelle said...

What Sonia/Cozy Memories said!

Unknown said...

My Facebook friend and fellow needle felter, Kelly, from Oregon told me about this. The really strange thing about this is I was in Oregon last week and this week am home in Merrifield and heard it from her via Oregon! I will be there!

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Bonnie - what a small little world! Thank you for putting it on you calendar. Hope you enjoy the event. :)

Studio Paars said...

What a great idea! I too wish was local :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails