Sunday, December 20, 2009

Baking and Beans (but not baked beans)



The annual cookie-a-thon has begun in my house.  Each year I bake cookies as gifts so about a week before Christmas the house begins filling with the scent of spices and sugar.   I have a favorite that is really easy to make and delish, so I thought I'd share.  It's a standard oatmeal cookie recipe, but I like to add dried blueberries or cherries and pecans.  ( NO raisins.  blech!!)   Combined with a bit of cinnamon and vanilla, it's pure heaven when paired with a good cuppa coffee.

Here's the recipe:



Oatmeal cookies

2/3 c. granulated sugar
2/3 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. softened butter
1/2 c. shortening
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
3 cups oats
1 c. flour
1 c. dried blueberries, cherries, or cranberries
1 c. pecans

Mix all ingredients except oats, flour, fruit, and nuts in a bowl.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2" apart onto an ungreased (or parchment lined) baking sheet.  Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes.  Remove immediately to a wire rack.

I have a couple of young helpers at home and while they do looove to help with the baking, sometimes I need a distraction so I can just crank out some dough.  Today I gave them a mixing bowl and dried beans to play with.  Are they going to make a mess?  Yes.  Do they love it?  Yes.  Hey, they're beans.  I can just sweep them up, no problem.



They inevitably moved from playing with the community bowl to other areas of the house.  Once they start making crop circles on the floor with the beans, I try to sweep them up lest we find beans throughout the house until New Years.



What to do once you sweep them up?  Craft!  We glued ours onto some egg gourds I had, added a ribbon, and dubbed them ornaments. 



So that's that.  All in all a good day of baking and beans.  What did you do today?

9 comments:

Margie Oomen said...

now I want to bake cookies when I have about a million other things to do :)

Anna White said...

Lisa..those cookies look simply delish :)

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Well Margie, I guess we're even because all I want to do is make ice wreaths when I have a million other things to do. :D

Anna - thank you! They really are. Easy too. (my kind of combination)

Vintage Tracy said...

Love those ornaments. Now, if I just had a clue what an egg gourd was! Ha! I know I have some styrofoam spheres around...should do the trick!

Anonymous said...

Jummy recipe :D

What did we do today? Ahm, the Netherlands are covered with a lot of snow these days which is not very common. And a lot means 30cm LOL. So we went out and made some pictures :D and had a lot of fun!

t does wool said...

today I finished a knit,took some pictures,posted to my blog,and now I will wrap some gifts!
thanks for sharing the recipe Lisa...
Happy Holidays to you all

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

This all sounds so delicious and fun!! I hope you're having a wonderful break and that your Christmas is very merry!

lynn bowes said...

Yes! (pumping fist)
No raisins!

Good idea of the day: send cookies with the Old Fishy Fossil Rock!

Have a lovely Christmas, Lisa :: lynn

Nath said...

Made them, love them, will definately make more ; )

Thanks for sharing and happy holidays

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails