Monday, December 07, 2009

Pom Poms Please!



A few days ago I had seen the pom pom tutorial that Margie from Resurrection Fern had put together and thought it would be a fun project for me and the kids to work on.  I really liked her organic looking version and even though I'm not a pom pom person so much, I had to try it out. 

Little did I realize that I would have so much fun making them.  3 hours.  3 HOURS I made pom poms.  Who knew?  Who knew my husband would have to utter the words "put down the pom pom and come and eat dinner"?  The kids loved them too.  They became fuzzy nunchucks in their hands and they gleefully walloped each other with them.  Even the baby enjoyed spinning them around.  I plan to make more to adorn my nieces' and nephews' holiday gifts, a few for decorations, and of course more for the kids to play with. 



My favorite of all of them were the ones made of handspun yarn.  They look like furry anemones.  Like some little fish should back right in there and call it a home. 



I experimented with different shapes and sizes of pom pom template-thingies and made a gigantic one that is roughly the size of my son's head.  It is the most coveted pom pom of the lot, presumably because the boys can make a serious impact when whacking the other with it.  (I have since put this one up out of kidlets' reach)



If you have some spare yarn around, you should definitely try this out.



Happy Nunchucking!

5 comments:

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

OMG at the size of the biggest one !!!!!
I see you had tooons of fun my friends ! :D So happy for you !
I picture little E spinning one ahah !
oxoxo

Tumus said...

That totally sounds like something me and my brothers would've done. LOL, congrats on the "mother of all Pom Poms".

Maybe you could do a pom pom experiment like you did with the acrons?

Tonya Gunn said...

Those pom poms are great - that might be a great activity for all of us today.
Warm wishes.

Marchi Wierson said...

wow!!!! thats a huge pom!!

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

Wow, I think I love pom poms now. I see many of these in my future!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails