Saturday, August 28, 2010

Butternut Squash Pancakes


Oh how I love the farmer's market.  We grow a garden of our own, but it's really wonderful to be able to pick up things that we don't grow here like colorful carrots, heirloom tomatoes, and herbed goat cheese.  While there I also picked up a few squash as ours aren't ready yet.  We had some with dinner the other night, but I had leftovers.  What to do with left over squash?  Pancakes.  Yes sir, pancakes. 


Ingredients:

1 butternut squash, roasted and mashed. (truthfully, I microwaved mine...)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves (or allspice, pumpkin pie spice, etc.)

Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.  Combine the mashed squash (redundant?), eggs, and milk, then add the dry ingredients and mix well.  The batter should be a little thicker than your normal pancake batter, but not so thick that you can't spread them out on the griddle.  Add milk until you reach desired constency. 

Heat your griddle on medium heat and grease it.  Ladle the batter onto the griddle and cook about 2 minutes on each side.


I served mine with local honey, chokecherry jam, and real butter.  The cakes themselves have a smooth, almost pumpkin pie-like texture inside, and combined with the fruity jam...oh.my.my.  SO good.  I think they'd be really good with a little vanilla yogurt too.  Definitely a new autumn favorite.

These were so good that while I was snapping photos of the pancakes, my family devoured the entire batch.  Thank goodness I still had my photo props. 


I love squash of all kinds, do you have a favorite squash recipe you can share with me?

10 comments:

magicbeanbuyer said...

can't say I've ever had butternut squash pancakes, but those look and sound sooooo good!

Brizel Handcrafts said...

ohhhhhh.... that cheese looks soooo yummy and the pancakes, omg, are exactly what i would want this morning... blistful sigh

Kar said...

The pancakes sound really good. Never heard of them that way. I might have to try them. My guys just tried spaghetti squash last week and loved it. They pretty much like all veggies. Love those carrots!!! I think I would grow them just to see all the colors. :)

Unknown said...

I am going to have to try that!! Sundays are pancake mornings!!

I have a wonderful recipe for butternut squash bread... to die for...

joanie said...

Those look scrumdillyicious !!!

Nearly ready for bed but I'm hungry again now :)

Moogie said...

Thank you so much for this! We are making them tomorrow :o)

ELK said...

this looks and sounds divine ..

Laura A. said...

Looks wonderful! But could I ask approx how much squash you added? Some whole squashes would be about two or three cups and that seems like a lot.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this recipe! I gave it a try this morning, but for some reason, the pancakes came out rather bland. Do you think that the recipe needs a little salt? It could just have been my cooking skills, but I thought I'd inquire. Thanks again!

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

Chesterberry - I don't think a dash of salt would hurt. Or more salted butter? Everything's better with butter. ;) Thanks for posting here, you've reminded me that I should make these again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails