I purchased this little blue velvet dress at a garage sale this summer for my daughter to wear for the holidays. I pulled it out of the closet yesterday and it seemed a little, well, ho-hum so I decided to tweak it a little. I pulled out that handy bag of lace trim I got at the antique store (I'm telling you, the best $10 I've spent) and my needle and thread and got to work.
I trimmed the long sleeves up and made them into slightly poofy cap sleeves and decided on one of the lace collars in my bag o' trims. The collar was discolored around the neck area which I tried to remove but my usual tricks (vinegar, fels naptha, borax) failed so I decided to go with it and dunked the entire in the rest of the morning's coffee to dye it. I sewed the collar on, leaving a space in the back to make it easier for her to put her head through. I'll add a decorative button there to finish it off.
Another holiday project checked off! Yay!