Saturday, November 10, 2012

the cut

Yesterday I showed you some stones I've been working on.  In the post I mentioned that when I make a stone I don't like, I cut it open and try again.  Since a few of you were interested in seeing those that I didn't like, I thought I'd share the couple I had in front of me at the time.

I liked the basic stitches on this blue one though I'd balance the french knots differently, either adding more or fewer of them, if I did it again.  Really this one was just not doing it for me in terms of color.  Sometimes it takes getting the threads on the stone to figure that out.  So, off it came.

This rusty red seemed to start off in the right direction, I like the stitch, I like the color, but I was left with an open space in the middle that I didn't know how to fill.  It was an awkward space and there was no good way to fill it, and the space wasn't interesting enough to leave open so off it came.

It does make a pretty good finger puppet though.

My kids normally swipe these discards to play with, they love everything I make (they're really supportive), but sometimes I will use these as stuffing for other projects or turn them into something new. (like in this tutorial)  They're never really wasted.  Besides, each time one doesn't turn out, I've learned something new, and that's never a waste.

9 comments:

prpltrtl946 said...

I'm sorry, but I woulda bought them both! Sometimes I have a hard time arranging my stones (When I am done playing.) and that rusty one would hold one or some nicely... imho 8*)

Melissa said...

I'm so excited for your shop update. I'm a little nervous about the time the you usually post because chances are I'll be at work. Your things sell out sooooo fast:) Would you consider putting them up for sale on a weekend or sometime in the evening? Otherwise I think i might be getting a really bad cold....cough...cough.

julochka said...

the burgundy one, i can see, but the other one is amazing!!

Traci Johnson said...

I would have also bought both of the "discarded" stones, especially the blue. I can't imagine any of your work not being amazing. Waiting, waiting, waiting...not so patiently, LOL.

Glo said...

I'm such a scrooge of time that I would have tried to salvage them rather than discard precious time already invested. I sometimes start a mixed media piece, and if i'm not happy with it, I can cover it with a new layer of stuff. Wonder if this could be done with stitches

joanie said...

I totally get you, they're still both amazing though.
I don't normally use "totally" but I do :)
xo

joanie said...

I totally get you, they're still both amazing though.
I don't normally use "totally" but I do :)
xo

Ann said...

I always look forward to seeing your beautiful creations and these two stones are lovely indeed. I can see the blue one as a flower loosing it's petals in the wind and the red one--to me--I can see moss and mushrooms growing our from the cut and spilling over the edges. Nevertheless, it's always a treat to see your work. Thank you for always inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Patrick Willis 49ers Jersey axiotakix
Victor Cruz Jersey axiotakix
T.Y. Hilton Kids Jersey axiotakix
http://whoesalenikenfljerseys.weebly.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails