Sunday, September 22, 2013

raku!

Yesterday I took my 7 and 8 year old boys with me to Ripple River Gallery for their annual raku firing.  I've always thought raku is so pretty but I've never seen it done in person.  What a treat it was.

We each got to glaze a little vessel and it was fired right there while we watched.  When it was done firing they took the pots out and put them in a small metal garbage bin full of newspaper and sawdust and closed the top.  After a few minutes the bin was opened and the pieces were removed and hosed off.  Where our chalky glazes had been, color and shimmer emerged.  It was like magic.

My grubby-handed boys were very proud of their pots and are already looking forward to going again next year.  I am too.

Not only did we get to participate in this bit of alchemy, but we got to nibble homegrown apples, look at some fiber art, and watch the release of 2 rehabilitated red-tailed hawks and a pileated woodpecker.
Definitely not your ordinary kind of day for us and we enjoyed it immensely.

Hope you're enjoying your weekend too.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like an awesone kind of day! Raku is so pretty-i use some raku pendents and beads in my jewelry designing. I bet it was an amazing process to watch. Happy sunday!

Cathy said...

Your pottery turned out just beautifully! It sound like you all had a great day, and your son's "grubby" hand is cute as it proudly holds his vase : )

HollyM said...

Wow, I love the Raku results! Beautiful! And how lovely to be able to have the boys along for such an experience.

Karen Larko said...

Super cool pottery Lisa! Sounds like a magical kind of day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails