Tuesday, September 03, 2013

sweet

Life is not easy for any of us, me included, but yesterday was especially tough.  It seemed everything was a battle, everything was a struggle, nothing came easy.  It was just... hard.  The kind of day where you lose your perspective and start to feel a little sorry for yourself.

I hate those days.

So after wading through a handful of chores for hours that should have taken me minutes, I headed outside.  I fed the chickens and watered the ducks and checked on the guineas, and there behind the guinea coop were blackberry bushes still with a few ripe fruits on them.

The fruits on our wild bushes aren't pretty and voluptuous like the cultivated varieties.  They're guarded heavily by thorns, kind of misshapen, and undeniably small, but when you get enough of them they're just as sweet.

And it hit me.

That's kind of how it goes with life, isn't it?
Maybe it isn't pretty and perfect or quite as big as you'd like it, but when you gather up those misshapen moments, those hard-fought pleasures, it's incredibly sweet.


And often, you find wonderful things along the way that you weren't expecting at all.

And that's the thought I'll carry with me.

Happy Tuesday, everyone.

15 comments:

Chiska said...

Thanks Lisa, I needed that today.

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

Not so happy that life hasn't been very easy, specially yesterday, but like me, Nature is teaching us simple & basic things about life.
May life be sweeter & sweeter as days go by.
Thinking about you & sending love all around
oxoxo

Anonymous said...

YES! Well said.
xo

Mel said...

Beautiful post. Must have been something in the air, I had the same kind of day, carrying my own personal cloud around with me. My cure was a long bike ride with some friends. I know when I get in that funk to get outside and do something, anything.

Thanks for the perspective, and the lovely photos.

Ariadne said...

Life is so beautiful but so hard at times indeed.Your blogpost today is like poetry.Thank you!AriadnefromGreece!

Unknown said...

I had the same crappy day too! And then on my way home from work I saw a rainbow! Kinda nice at the end of the day!

srsaeaa@gmail.com said...

There's nothing that lifts my spirits more than getting out and picking wild berries--except perhaps if I were to find a beautiful little jewel like that nest. A happy and soothing week to you, Lisa.

hugs,
Stephane

Annie Cholewa said...

Treasure and sweetness among the thorns ... yep, that sounds like life to me :)

JennD said...

Love that. Brought tears as I sit here dreading the upcoming year of school, sports, and work schedules. You are so right.

kris@thebigboat said...

so very true! may we always find the bright lights in a cloudy day!

Unknown said...

Beautiful & timely post. This is what I will try & carry with me today, thank you!

Sandies' Patch said...

Me too! Had quite a few of those days lately that never seem to get going! But, then a friend wil phone and say,c'mon lets' go to the seaside or to the Fabric guild( a sort of craft and fabric place, reasonable prices and free tea/coffee/hot chocolate or cold drink!), suddenly you feel better!
I'm off to pick some blackberries and elderberries if they are ripe enough, fancy making some cordials as well as the hedgerow preserves, this year. One of them will be spiced with ginger for those days when you need a lift!

Starr White said...

Lovely post, lovely insight. Nature has so much to teach if we just take the time to look and listen. wishing you a better day today :)

Unknown said...

Tis true.hope the rest of your week.is full.of happiness :*)

beth said...

oh, i so agree. this really resonates with me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails