Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tea for tweets


I took a couple of minutes to make a little something for my garden yesterday.  It is a super simple project and it was just the creative break I needed.  I've been meaning to make one of these feeders for a few years now (years, things sit on my to-do list for years!) and figured now was as good a time as any.

I was going to write a quick tutorial but this one over on Little Birdie Secrets was so well-written that I figured I'd just point to that one.


I have a handful of vintage teacups and saucers on hand that I pick up at yard sales, but If I had the supplies on hand I would have preferred to use a copper pipe and cap as a post.  Instead I used a scrap piece of pvc pipe and a stick.  I have lots of those.  I sanded the end to fit inside the pipe snugly.  The feeder can be easily lifted off for cleaning or storage.


I filled my completed feeder with grape jelly and later hung an orange slice on the spoon, hoping to entice the orioles back to my yard and away from the hummingbird feeders.  Having a big orange bird on their feeders really throws the hummingbirds into a tizzy.  The little guys seem a bit high strung anyway so why add to their anxiety level, right?


Have you done any simple gardening projects lately?

9 comments:

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

aw, such a lovely idea indeed :)
the birds in your garden will appreciate for sure !
oxoxo

Tara said...

Lisa, I love it. Must make one for our garden.

eidolons said...

Oh! That tutorial only uses glue? Yippie! I've seen the ones that require drills and special bits - which always daunts me. But glue? Glue I can handle. This is spectacular - I've been wanting to make one of these for so very long!

Thank you for posting about it!

Philontilt said...

That is very cute. What a cool idea!

joanie said...

Very cute! I saw some of these at the local farmers market last week, they're gorgeous. I'm sure you'll have more than just orioles round for tea!

KarenB said...

I have one of these. I should put it out in my new yard!

Tumus said...

That's really cute! I made a nesting ball for our birdies. What type of bird eats the jelly? I'd be worried about ants myself.

NanaBeast said...

This project is definitely my cup of tea! Now, the hard part - choosing the cup and saucer from my collection!

Nancy said...

Never saw one with a spoon; very cool.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails