Monday, February 14, 2011

Button Monday


I've been wanting to re-read the Little House on the Prairie books, they had been some of my favorites growing up, so before bed the other night I grabbed a copy of "On The Banks of Plum Creek" and settled in.

When I reached the passage below, I started smiling.


I recognized some of those buttons from my own stash immediately so I pulled out a painted china button, a jet button, and one with a raised castle and bridge.  I love the history in these pieces and to read about them in the story somehow gave them provenance for me. 


Now I just have to find a button with a tiny dog head on it.  One more button in the collection can't hurt, right?

Happy Monday and Happy Valentine's Day, sweeties!

14 comments:

peawink said...

being a big fan of the little house books, I {heart} your post today. happy valentines to you! J

Rikkianne said...

I love this post too. I will be adding a tiny dog head button to my antiquing list. If I find one, It's yours! :)

Margie Oomen said...

this is just so precious lisa
love it to bits
happy valentine's day
and a kiss from edgar

The4inONE said...

Happy Valentine's Day! ♥♥

Apryl said...

that's lovely post. I can only vaguely remember reading about the button box so I really need to get ahold of my little house books when we go visit my parents in spring.

lynn bowes said...

Some of my very favorite books ever. I've thought about you and me several times in the context of those books - you Little House in the Big Woods and me Little House on the Prairie. Full of history, aren't they? Love the button passage :: lynn

Unknown said...

Wow, how awesome to have the very same buttons...love it!

Karen Larko said...

That's just too cool!

Scrapiana said...

Lovely!

Sharon said...

I love the Little House series! As a child, I read through them all at least every other year, and now that my son is old enough to read them, I've been picking them up again.

The buttons you have lined up along the page are gorgeous, and I can see why they are some of your favorites. I, too, will keep an eye out for a dog's head button for you. :)

Tumus said...

My favorite one in the series aside from On the Banks of Plum Creek was Farmer Boy. I love that book because of Almanzo's mother who always seemed to be cooking or baking the most delicious things ever.

Tumus said...

Forgive my horrible grammar ^^

Tara said...

I love that a piece of you as an adult is in a book you cherished as a child. happy Valentines Day, Lisa!

joanie said...

I know I've told you you remind me of the Ingalls family in your house in the big woods. I bet hubby even plays the fiddle (or maybe he makes them instead:)
You know Gracie and I loved reading most of these to each other last year and as a fellow button lover, I remember that passage so clearly. I'm so impressed with your castle button.

I have a little treat for you on Flickr.
Jx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails